Sunday, March 4, 2012

To Doula or Not to Doula???? That is the question!

This weekend Tim and I attended our Weekend Childbirth Class. It was very enlightening and I/we feel much more prepared. Not saying we are totally prepared because no one really is, but we are a lot more confident in the birthing experience. Our question now...Doula or no Doula?? 

For those of you that don't know what a Doula is, Doula means Woman's Servant and she comes and assists in the childbirth process. They make sure that Mom and Baby are as comfortable as they can be and that the labor/delivery process is exactly or as close to exactly what you would like. They aid in comfort measures and provide emotional support. 

When a Doula is present during/after the birthing process: 
  • tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
  • reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction
  • reduces mothers’ requests for pain medication and epidurals
  • reduces cesarean sections by up to 26%
  • improves the mother’s satisfaction with her birth experience
  • reduces postpartum depression
  • improves breastfeeding success
  • reduces the length of hospital stays
  • builds mother’s self confidence in the postpartum period
We know that we want to try very hard to not use any drugs during labor and to have a natural vaginal birth. I feel very confident in my ability to do this. I am strong and woman have been doing it for hundreds of years! It's what your body was made to do. At last resort, if something should happen, we are not opposed to a C-Section. If we need it, we need it but we want to try every other method before we just at an epidural. I want our baby to come out alert and ready to breastfeed. 

The childbirth educators, who are also Doulas, reassured us that if you can make it to 7 centimeters during the Transition Stage of labor, you can do it the rest of the way. The worst is most likely over. I've never had a baby, but I have been in labor and had my cervix opened and dilated.  I had to get an IUD and since my cervix had never been opened, they had to dilate me and induce me to open it manually. That was AWFUL but I drove myself home having contractions!!! I know that actual childbirth is going to be even more intense but I have faith that I can do it! I really want to try. I will have a WONDERFUL coach who is also my best friend helping me through it. 

An amazing thing about the Birth Center, where we are having Graysen is that we CAN make it our own experience. We plan to bring in relaxing/meditating music, aromatherapy, soft lighting and use the whirlpool tub/shower. They have labor balls, beds that move into all sorts of positions and not to mention that they delivered 900 babies last year alone!! We are in great hands! 

Our only question is...do we get a Doula or not?? They usually make two house visits before hand to go over what you want and the experience you want to have, are there when you go into labor and stay through the birth. They will stay for a couple hours if you want and they will assist with lactation right away as many of them are also lactation consultants. They usually make a home visit sometime within the first month after baby is born to check up and what not. There are several reputable/licensed Doula's in SE MN...we are just debating on whether we will use one. 

Leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts. Did you use one? Do you know someone who did? Do you wish you had used one?? HELP!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel they step on the toes of the husbands role in the labor room, it should be your husband and your decisions not Doulas and I have heard they can be pushy.....your thoughts before going in are totally different than what really happens in there...You have this pre plan and it usually is never what you planned it out to be in the end. I did not use one I felt that I wanted that time with my husband the first time, and my second he was deployed to I had my mom in the room with me, my third was more normal since I knew I was for sure having a scheduled C-section and went smoothly with Jim and I and baby! So 3 c-sections for me, I do have to say I was against it with my fist but he was breech and once we had him I am glad as he was 9# 9oz, I dont think my vagina would have ever been the same after that....LOL Good luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Doulas here at OMC are very open and the ones that we met would not step on toes. They are very vocal about the Dad being the main coach and that the Mom makes the decisions. We aren't set on it, just looking into it. I know that it will not be anything like we anticipate, but I'm glad that OMC lets you make the room yours and all of the nurses/doctors are wonderful. You are your nurse's ONLY patient. Thanks for your imput Joslyn. I will definitely take it into consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all that you've written here I have to ask - what do you have to loose? It seems to be the extra support will be welcome during the process of labor. Also, I've heard the advice (from my own mother) that you should all the support that you possibly can for breast feeding. It's a challenge and SOOO important to baby and momma. That's my two cents - I support doula and Midwives for baby delivery:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura is Laura Nethercut, just so you know who you're hearing from:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We delivered at OMC, without a doula. The nursing staff were great.... they check on you A LOT and want to make sure that you're comfortable. Cooper needed the vacuum to get out.. but I don't think he ever really dropped....

    Also - we planned on going med-free. I was diagnosed with pre-e when I went in in labor... the doctor recommended an epidural, so I went with it. I was afraid of the epidural, but it was heavenly. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann,
      I just saw your post. We decided to use a Doula. She works at OMC and is a childbirth educator there. It's more for Tim's peace of mind. He is a Nervous Nellie and it makes him more comfortable and confident knowing she will be there for support too. I agree...I think I am MORE afraid of the epidural than I am of the pain of natural childbirth!

      Delete